> Member & Leader Resources
> I'm a leader >
> Hints for writing articles
|Hints for writing articles
|Tips for writing great articles
(from August 2002 Leader Link)
- Think about the type of article you are writing:
What is the message you want to get across?
- Use your own voice, use your own words, be you!
- Remember when the issue will be read. Discuss events
in the past tense when they will have happened by
the time the article is published.
- Include quotes from people who know about the subject
or who attended the events being discussed.
- Include information for someone who wants to learn
more about the topic, your committee, or your local
section. This could be information to contact you,
a list of your sources, or information about other
articles or books on the topic.
- Spell Check!
- Include the full name and company of people you
mention in the article. This makes the individual
and company stand out.
- Take credit for your work! Include your name, work
title, company, and volunteer position when you submit
- Reread your article (out loud) before submitting
and make revisions!
- Ask yourself if there are any legal or ethical
implications of anything in the article. If so, rethink