Plant Maintenance Grade I
101. Interprets and works from basic drawings, designs,
schematics, sketches, and written and verbal instructions;
performs basic maintenance, repairs, fabrication, and
rebuilding of shop, field and plant equipment used in
water and/or wastewater treatment facilities, pump stations,
and collection systems.
102. Lubricates, adjusts, and maintains shop, field,
and plant equipment, including inspection, cleaning,
and repairing wet wells, pipelines, pumps, compressors,
valves, chemical feed, and processing equipment.
103. Performs basic preventive and corrective maintenance
by isolating power, grounding wires, troubleshooting
problems, making repairs, restoring power and checking
for proper operation.
104. Performs basic electrical and instrumentation
circuit installation for additions or modifications
by bending and installing conduit, pulling wire, wiring
in circuits as shown on blueprint and testing system
for proper installation.
105. Assists in the installation of, inspection, and
repair of a variety of pumps, such as centrifugal, positive
displacement, and screw; services, lubricates, adjusts,
and maintains pumps; removes and installs packing and
106. Using basic welding skills to perform horizontal
welding and fabricating with acetylene and arc welders;
heats and cuts materials; and fabricates simple projects.
107. Maintains, installs, inspects, and repairs piping
systems of galvanized, pvc, stainless steel, and copper
tubing; identifies types of piping, fittings, and basic
valves; cuts and threads pipes; and makes minor modifications
to existing piping systems.
108. Performs basic to routine maintenance and repair
tasks on engines, such as changes oil, belts, and spark
plugs; replaces filters; obtains oil and fuel samples;
and takes hydrometer readings of coolant and battery
109. Performs regularly scheduled maintenance, inspection,
and repair tasks on comminuting and grinding devices;
replaces and adjusts cutters and combs; cleans bar screens;
lubricates devices; and assists others in the more complex
110. Performs basic maintenance, inspection, and repair
tasks on mechanical and electrical drive components.
111. Maintains, inspects, and repairs a variety of
hydraulic, pneumatic and electrical process control
112. Follows the safe and proper use of various hand,
power tools and test instruments.
113. Follow proper safety practices, precautions, and
procedures, such as confined space entry, storing, handling,
and transporting gases, using correct lockout and tagout
procedures; and assisting in rigging as required for
the movement or placement of heavy machinery or equipment.
114. Complete minimal work process documentation.
Plant Maintenance Grade IV
400. Essential duties identified on the Test Content
Specifications for Plant Maintenance Grade I, and Electrical
Instrumentation Technology and Mechanical Technology
Grades II, and III.
401. Initiates, plans, directs and oversees the sequence
of operations for large and complex repair and construction
work at wastewater treatment plants, wastewater pump
stations, storm drainage stations, potable water systems,
chemical handling systems and oxygen injection systems.
402. Coordinates staffing with operational activities,
directs the coordination of assigned work with appropriate
personnel, reviews, preliminary design and specification,
and in association with appropriate staff, makes recommendations
involving modifications to facilities.
403. Directs, coordinates and reviews the work plan
for assigned plant facility services and activities;
assigns work activities and projects, monitors work
flow; reviews and evaluates work products, methods and
procedures; and meets with staff to identify and resolve
404. Establishes policies and procedures for operation
and maintenance of complex water and wastewater treatment
equipment, chemical handling systems and oxygen injection.
405. Designs and implements training of crews in plant
maintenance, construction, repair and safety principles
to meet and comply with national, federal, state, and
406. Schedules and directs computer based maintenance
407. Formulates, initiates and directs the operational
parameters for facilities and equipment under manager's
jurisdiction during storm periods or emergencies.
408. Approves time sheets, equipment, labor changes
and assigns priority of work orders for plant maintenance
409. Participates in the development and implementation
of goals, objectives, policies and priorities.
410. Selects, train, motivates and evaluates personnel
performance; and implements discipline and termination
procedures, when required.
411. Prepares and presents staff reports and other
correspondence as appropriate and necessary.
412. Designs and administers safety programs.